Welcome!

Welcome to Mrs. K.'s Blog Site!





Bienvenidos a sitio de blogs a Mrs. K.!

Monday, July 11, 2011

PowerPoint vs. Prezi

When using PowerPoint and Prezi this past week, they both have their pluses and minuses.  PowerPoint is accessible on a computer without Internet, providing the user of the computer has purchased the software for the computer.  Since it is more common than Prezi, it has been used more and the user probably has more knowledge about its capabilities.  The downside to PowerPoint is that some computers have the 2003 version and some have the 2007 version.  If one creates a PowerPoint in the newer version, but those that will be viewing it do not have the newer version, they will not be able to open the PowerPoint presentation and view it.  The other downside is that if one tries to convert the PowerPoint presentation so that it can be stored online for others to view or for the creator to use somewhere without having to carry it around in a storage device, the conversion softwares available online do not save it exactly how it is supposed to be.

If unfamiliar with Prezi, it takes a while to navigate the options for creating a presentation.  Once the basics are handled, then the creator can mess around with colors, fonts, etc.  The nice thing about Prezi is that it is already stored online so there is no need to convert it.  The downside is that there seems to be a lot of "bouncing" around from one piece of information to the next.  The transitions do not seem to be as smooth as PowerPoint transitions.

Regardless of the choice, both PowerPoint and Prezi have their purposes and it all depends upon the creators intent for which one to use.

2 comments:

  1. April,

    I currently use the 2003 version of PowerPoint and am able to view 2007 PowerPoint files. I believe I had to download a conversion tool, which allows me to view the newer edition. I don't remember the exact logistics, but I do know that I am able to view 2007 files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the Prezi comments you made. I really enjoy the tool, but I just don't have as much experience with it so my comfort level is not as high when I work with that presentation tool. When I viewed my Prezi for the first time I sort of got a little motion sick. I am not as fond of the spins as students are, though. In fact, when I showed my presentation to a youth at church on Sunday they said, "Hey, did you know that if you put the text this way the words will spin more?" You and I may not like it, but the students sure do!

    ReplyDelete